Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A-milli-a-milli-a-MILIA?

I got my wisdom teeth removed yesterday morning and I’ve got to say, recovery hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be. My cheeks haven’t swelled up like crazy and I haven’t had any pain that is bad enough to merit taking the T-3’s that my doctor prescribed to me. I’m just feeling a little soreness and a tiny bit of swelling in the bottom right side of my mouth, but aside from that recovery has been progressing well. Since I’ll be home for the next few days I hope to be blogging a little more often this week.




Have you ever gotten weird little bumps around your eyes or your face that never, ever, seem to go away? You know for sure they aren’t pimples (because duh, they haven’t gone away), they aren’t black heads or white heads because they look like they look like bumps growing under your skin. You probably got them after trying new skin care products- likely an eye cream or an entirely new skin care regime.

A milia seed.


These, my friends, are called milia. That, is a milia seed that recently popped out of my left eyelid the other morning. Finally- I had been waiting for these babies to pop out of my skin for months now. I got them after using this sample of a luxury eye cream (that will remain nameless) for a few weeks. I probably developed about 7-8 milia bumps on both of my eyelids. Although only one of the 7/8 that I had popped out, it was the biggest one that was bothering me the most. You can see it in this photo here, from my Too Faced Natural Eye Shadow palette review. It’s sitting just over my left eye, closest to the bridge of my nose.

For those that don’t know, milia seeds are small, keratin-filled cysts that form underneath the epidermis (outer most layer) of your skin. They usually form from using skin care products that are too rich for your skin combined with a lack of exfoliation (sloughing off dead cells from the skin’s surface).

My skin is particularly dry, and as much as I want to hydrate it like crazy to keep my lines and wrinkles at bay, being a dry-skinned person I need to remember that I need to exfoliate often and use products that are light enough but hydrating enough for my eye area. The skin around your eyes is especially prone to things like milia because it is much thinner than the rest of the skin on your face. If you’re concerned about the skin on your eye contour, you need to use a moisturizer specialized for the eye that is separate from the one you use on your face because of how delicate the skin is here. Using a face moisturizer in your undereye area might just give you more milia.

What did I do to remove my milia?
After I noticed these bumps over my eye lids, I began to exfoliate like crazy. Removing the skin on top of the milia surface will help your milia pop right out of your skin. Whatever you do, DO NOT POKE AT THEM WITH A NEEDLE. If they are really bugging you, head down to a medical spa that specializes in milia removal and they’ll take care of the problem for you.

What can I do to prevent the formation of milia?
Like I said earlier, make sure you exfoliate your skin regularly so that your skin can properly remove toxins and other gross things from its surface efficiently and effectively. Use skin care that is appropriate for your skin type (first, figure out what your skin type it and what feel best to you). Some of the eye creams that I’ve used in the past that don’t give me any milia problems but hydrate beautifully are Clinique's All About Eyes ($37 CAD for 15 mL) and Biotherm's Skin-Ergetic Eyes ($40 CAD for 15 mL). I’m working on finishing up my jar of Clinique’s All About Eyes, but once that’s gone I’m going straight back to the Biotherm cream.


I think I’ve got a few milia on the side of my face and I’ll probably get those removed the next time I see an esthetician for a facial. I’ll keep you all posted on the status of my milia around my eyelids as they continue to pop out, haha.

Have you ever had milia before? Ever gotten them professionally removed? I'd love to hear from you!

xox,
ysobel

This is me in recovery mode. Yes, those are resealable bags full of frozen green beans on my face.

1 comment:

  1. I popped a milia a few days ago. I was born with a milia seed on my left eye but it haven't got out by itself. One day, i was very sick of it i rubbed it so hard that it tore my skin. The next following day, when i'm at school, i remembered this post (i have read this post before i popped it) and try to get it out. It felt weird after I touched it and I think it's half way so i get it out and it's white. Eww but yay! Nay because there is a small scar. Permanent scar but meh, who cares?

    ReplyDelete